BOSTON – The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) today issued a reminder that registration for the 2012 Boston Marathon will begin at 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday, September 12, 2011. Its new registration process will allow the fastest qualifiers to register first, and the registration period will continue for two weeks, or until the field size is reached. Race registration will be held entirely online at www.baa.org.
On Monday, September 12, eligible runners who’ve met the qualifying standards for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register. On September 14 at 10:00 a.m. ET registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standards by 10 minutes or more (if space remains), and on Friday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET (if space remains), registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standards by five minutes or more.
Registration will close from Saturday, September 17 at 10:00 p.m., ET and, (if space remains) will re-open on Monday, September 19 at 10:00 a.m. ET to all qualifiers until September 23 at 5:00 p.m. ET. Those who are the fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender will be accepted.
Boston Marathon Registration Dates
Monday, September 12 Qualifiers 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster
Wednesday, September 14 Qualifiers 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster, (if space remains)
Friday, September 16 Qualifiers 5 minutes, 00 seconds or faster, (if space remains)
Monday, September 19 All qualifiers, (if space remains)
Friday, September 23 Registration closes
A few important notes:
- The 2012 Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 16, 2012.
- The field size for the 2012 Boston Marathon will not represent a significant increase from recent years.
- The qualifying standards for the 2012 Boston Marathon have not changed from recent years.
- The 59 seconds which had been given to runners in years past is only applicable for week two qualifiers (September 19 – September 23).
- If space remains available after the two week process, registration will remain open to any qualifier on a first come, first served basis until the maximum field size is reached.
- The B.A.A. will make an announcement if the field size limit is reached prior to the conclusion of the registration period.
- Though the B.A.A. will e-mail registrants upon the completion of their form, runners are not officially entered into the race until their qualifying time is verified. This can take a matter of seconds or days depending on the race.
- The qualification window for the 2013 Boston Marathon will begin on Saturday, September 24, or as soon as 2012 registration closes.
- The qualifying standards for the 2013 Boston Marathon are five minutes more stringent than the standards for the 2012 race, as shown below.
2012 Boston Marathon Qualifying Standards
Age Group Men Women
18-34 3hrs 10min 3hrs 40min
35-39 3hrs 15min 3hrs 45min
40-44 3hrs 20min 3hrs 50min
45-49 3hrs 30min 4hrs 00min
50-54 3hrs 35min 4hrs 05min
55-59 3hrs 45min 4hrs 15min
60-64 4hrs 00min 4hrs 30min
65-69 4hrs 15min 4hrs 45min
70-74 4hrs 30min 5hrs 00min
75-79 4hrs 45min 5hrs 15min
80 and over 5hrs 00min 5hrs 30min