BOSTON – The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) issued a reminder today that registration for the 2013 Boston Marathon will open at 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday, September 10, 2012. This registration process, also utilized in 2011, will allow the fastest qualifiers to register first. The registration period will continue until Friday, September 21 at 5:00 p.m. ET, or until the field size is reached. Race registration will be held entirely online at www.baa.org.
The 117th Boston Marathon will mark the 28th consecutive year that the Boston Marathon will have John Hancock Financial Services as its principal sponsor.
Registration will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers. On Monday, September 10, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standards for their age and gender group by 20 minutes or more may register. On Wednesday, September 12 at 10:00 a.m. ET, if space remains, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standards by 10 minutes or more. If space remains, registration will open on Friday, September 14 at 10:00 a.m. ET for those who have met their qualifying standards by five minutes or more.
Registration will close on Saturday, September 15 at 10:00 p.m. ET and, if space remains, will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 17 at 10:00 a.m. to Friday, September 21 at 5:00 p.m. ET. If space remains after this initial two week period, then on Monday, September 24 registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.
Those who are the fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender group will be accepted. Accepted athletes will be notified by October 1, 2012.
BOSTON MARATHON REGISTRATION DATES:
- Monday, September 10 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
- Wednesday, September 12 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster (if space remains).
- Friday, September 14 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 5 minutes, 00 seconds or faster (if space remains).
- Monday, September 17 - All qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard (if space remains).
- Friday, September 21 - Registration closes at 5:00 p.m. ET.
If space remains after this initial two week period, then on Monday, September 24 registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.
A FEW IMPORTANT NOTES:
- The 2013 Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 15, 2013.
- The field size for the 2013 Boston Marathon will not represent a significant increase from recent years.
- The qualifying standards for the 2013 Boston Marathon, shown below, are five minutes more stringent than the standards for the 2012 race.
- This qualifying standards for the 2013 Boston Marathon represent the first time since the 1990 Boston Marathon that the qualifying times have been made more stringent.
- The 59 seconds allowed for qualifying times in the past are not applicable for those registering for the 2013 Boston Marathon.
- The B.A.A. will make an announcement if the field size limit is reached prior to the conclusion of the registration period.
- Though the B.A.A. will e-mail registrants upon the completion of their form, runners are not officially entered into the race until their qualifying time is verified. This length of time may vary and can be as long as several days, depending on the qualifying marathon.
- The qualification window for the 2014 Boston Marathon will begin on Saturday, September 22, 2012.
- Registration dates for the 2014 Boston Marathon have not yet been announced.
2013 BOSTON MARATHON QUALIFYING STANDARDS
(effective September 24, 2011)
All standards below are based on official submitted net time
||3hrs 05min 00sec
||3hrs 35min 00sec|
||3hrs 10min 00sec
||3hrs 40min 00sec|
||3hrs 15min 00sec
||3hrs 45min 00sec|
||3hrs 25min 00sec
||3hrs 55min 00sec|
||3hrs 30min 00sec
||4hrs 00min 00sec|
||3hrs 40min 00sec
||4hrs 10min 00sec|
||3hrs 55min 00sec
||4hrs 25min 00sec|
||4hrs 10min 00sec
||4hrs 40min 00sec|
||4hrs 25min 00sec
||4hrs 55min 00sec|
||4hrs 40min 00sec
||5hrs 10min 00sec|
|80 and over
||4hrs 55min 00sec
||5hrs 25min 00sec|
|Unlike previous years, an additional 59 seconds will NOT be accepted for each age group time standard. |