Michael Pieroni, Head Coach
Head Coach Michael Pieroni has helped expand the Boston Athletic Association's rich tradition of athletic accomplishment. As a former competitive runner himself, together with his valuable experience as a coach and extensive knowledge of the New England running community, Coach Pieroni assists B.A.A. athletes in their development and improvement. Pieroni joined the B.A.A. in the fall of 1997, following a decorated four-year stint as an assistant coach with the Boston Running Club.
"Working with you to achieve your athletic goals and aspirations is my main objective, and the continued success of the B.A.A. Running Club is my primary mission. Strong support from the B.A.A. and adidas continues to make for a top-flight program."
Terrence Mahon, High Performance Coach
Terrence Mahon has joined the Boston Athletic Association to lead and coach a high performance distance running initiative for the organization.
Mahon is considered a top middle distance and distance running coach, and he is credited with having developed or coached eight Olympians since 2005.
He began his coaching career in 2003 with renowned endurance coach Joe Vigil serving as a mentor to Mahon. In 2003 and 2004, Mahon offered private coaching under his company Spiridon Running, LLC, prior to taking charge of Team Running USA, the elite group which would later become the Mammoth Track Club. Most recently, Mahon was employed by UK Athletics in England, where he served as Lead Endurance Coach.
At the B.A.A., Mahon will work with Michael Pieroni to create a high performance running program consisting of U.S. athletes. Mahon will recruit and coach the high performance athletes, and Pieroni will continue to be the director of the entire club. Mahon, along with the athletes who will comprise the high performance group, will be based in Boston.
"The B.A.A. has a rich history of athletic excellence, both in terms of events and club membership, and I look forward to developing the next generation of top Americans who will compete wearing the Unicorn," said Mahon. "The athletes who will run for the B.A.A. in this program will represent one of this country's oldest and most prestigious running clubs, and our group will be the newest contributor to the already strong legacy of running in Boston."
- American Records (women): 8k, 15k, Half Marathon & Marathon, (men): 20k, Half Marathon
- Major Marathon Champion: Chicago, London
- Major Marathon Podium Finishes: Boston, Chicago, NYC
- US National Champions: 1500m, 10,000m, 15k roads, 20k roads, Half Marathon, Marathon
- World Ranked Athletes: 800m #2, 1500m #1, 5,000m # 7, 10,000m # 9, Marathon #1
- Olympic & World Finalists since 2005: 1500m, 5,000m, 10,000m, Marathon
- 2009 USOC Doc Counsilman Science Award Winner - Track & Field Coach
- 2011 & 2012 USATF Center of Excellence Award, Mammoth Track Club
- 2012 Running USA Allen Steinfeld Award for Elite LDR Training Center - Mammoth Track Club
US National Team Coaching Positions:
- 2007 USATF Team Head Coach – Yokohama Women’s Ekiden Championship
- 2010 USATF World Indoor Championship Coach - Men‘s Middle & Long Distance
- 2011 USATF World Championships Coach - Women’s Middle & Long Distance
Michael McGrane, Assistant Coach
Michael McGrane, a running club member since 2001, joins the Boston Athletic Association as a coach. Michael graduated from Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa where he earned all-conference honors in both cross country and track & field. In 2001, Michael relocated from his home state of Iowa to the Boston area where he joined the B.A.A. Running Club and has competed in the Boston Marathon every year since. Michael brings his wealth of knowledge and experience as a seasoned Boston marathoner to the B.A.A. coaching staff.