Find out what to expect along the Boston Marathon course
From mile two to mile 25, there will be hydration stations at every mile on both sides of the road. Each station will first have four tables of Lemon-Lime Gatorade Endurance Formula, and the remaining tables will have Poland Spring water. Clif SHOT® Energy Gels, will be on course at three locations with both caffeinated (Mocha & Citrus) and non-caffeinated (Vanilla & Razz) flavors.
COURSE CLOCKS & MILE/KILOMETER SIGNAGE
Digital clocks, positioned at every mile and 5K mark, indicate the unofficial running time from the 10:00 a.m. start only. Signage indicates mile and 5K marks.
DROP OUT AND COURSE CLOSURE
- Runners unable to finish the race may stop for assistance and direction at one of the 26 American Red Cross first aid stations along the course.
- Sweep buses pick up runners at every Red Cross station with drop-off at the Finish Area medical tent.
- Aid stations along the course close at staggered times during the day.
- Finish area facilities officially close at approximately 6:00 p.m. ET. No official times will be recorded after approximately 5:40pm (or six hours after the last official runner is expected to cross the starting line).
- Runners still out on the course when officials determine that it is time to reopen the roads (approximately a 15-minute per mile pace) will be instructed to move to the right side of the road.
- Once roads begin to reopen to vehicular traffic, course infrastructure (such as timing systems, course clocks, medical stations, and water stations) will all begin to be closed and cease operation.
- Runners on the course after this time accept that they will be on their own and should plan accordingly.
- The B.A.A. will have a team of cyclists in the rear of the pack to assist runners who are at or slower than 15-minute per mile pace.
For your convenience and use during the race, the B.A.A. provides portable toilets at the following locations on the course:
- Mile 3 - Ashland
- Mile 7 - Framingham
- Mile 10 - Natick
- Mile 12 - Wellesley
- Mile 18 - Newton
- Mile 23.5 – Brookline
These are in addition to the toilets at every water and Red Cross station. Please respect the communities through which the Boston Marathon runs by taking advantage of these facilities, if needed.
FINISH AREA INFORMATION
More information coming soon
The order of our finish area services has been modified. Finishers will receive:
- Heatsheet or Mylar Blanket
- Fluid replacement (Poland Spring Water and Gatorade)
All information above is subject to change at any time.