Information on Baggage and Gear Check
GEAR CHECK - NEW LOCATION
On race morning, participants may check gear at the designated gear check tents on Boylston Street between Arlington and Berkeley Streets. This area is two blocks east of the finish line and one block west of the Boston Public Garden. (see image to the right, click to enlarge)
- Signs on the gear check tents will be color coded by waves with numbers corresponding to participant bib numbers, indicating where to drop your bag. A pre-approved gear check bag will be your race packet provided at Number Pick-up by the B.A.A. The clear drawstring bag measures 18” x 19” with a 5” gusseted bottom and is labeled on one side as your gear bag. No other bags will be accepted at gear check.
- In your race packet, you will receive a pre-printed adhesive label with your bib number on it that should be used for gear check. You must affix the label to your approved gear bag before handing it to race personnel. The drawstrings on the bag should be cinched and tied to ensure that your belongings do not fall out. You must leave your clear, plastic bag at the gear check area on Boylston Street prior to boarding the B.A.A. shuttle bus to the start in Hopkinton.
- Do not check any valuables. Although we will do our best to ensure that your gear is waiting for you at the end of the race, we are not responsible for lost items and/or gear check bags.
- Hours of Operation: Gear check bags may be checked on Boylston Street between 5:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. on Monday, April 18. Gear check bags may be claimed from 12:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Monday, April 18.
- Unclaimed Gear: Gear check bags not claimed by 6:00 p.m. on Monday, April 18, will be transported to the Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center at 40 Trinity Place, located at the corner of Stuart Street and Trinity Place. Gear check bags may be claimed on Tuesday, April 19, and Wednesday, April 20.
OFFICIAL BAGGAGE POLICY
The B.A.A. and public safety officials from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the eight cities and towns along the 26.2-mile course are asking official participants to comply with all security policies.
- The only bags runners will be allowed to carry on race day are a fanny pack no larger than 5x15x5 inches and a one gallon clear plastic bag (not provided by the B.A.A.) to store extra food or sports drink on the bus ride to Hopkinton.
- A clear gear check drawstring bag (which is included as your race packet at Number Pick-up) is to be utilized only for gear check on race morning at the gear check tents on Boylston Street. (see image to the right, click to enlarge)
- The bags listed above are the only allowable bags that runners can use on race day.
- All other bags - including but not limited to backpacks, any similar item carried over-the-shoulder, handbags, personal hydration systems (such as CamelBak®, Thor®, etc), and weight vests - are prohibited on Boston Marathon race day. These items will not be allowed in certain areas at or near the start in Hopkinton, at or near the finish in Boston, or along the course. All bags (other than the allowable 5x15x5 inch fanny pack and one gallon clear plastic bag) will not be allowed on buses from Boston to Hopkinton. No items will be transported from Hopkinton back to Boston.
To learn more information on participant rules, including allowable and prohibited items on race day, click the button below:
All of the above is subject to change at any time