12th Annual B.A.A. Half Marathon
We are proud to say that the members of our volunteer community stepped forward and once again contributed to the B.A.A.'s mission of promoting healthy lifestyles through running events. We hope that you realize the significance of your role as a volunteer at our 12th Annual B.A.A. Half Marathon, presented by Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund, and as an active member of our great volunteer community. Indeed, your participation was even more significant this year because the event was also the culmination of the Inaugural B.A.A. Distance Medley.
Producing events that provide an opportunity for community members to come together to celebrate active lifestyles and competitive sports is an important part of our mission. This year alone, 45,193 runners will train for a B.A.A. event, and we hope last weekend's Half Marathon has triggered even more community members to begin such training.
The B.A.A. now has a full set of athletic events ranging from the Mile to the Marathon, and volunteers are vital to all of our races and programs. Our volunteers truly give us the capacity to produce these events and are the means to our achievements.
Please accept our sincere thanks for helping to make the whole complement of races, especially the 12th Annual B.A.A. Half Marathon, a great success.
- WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE COURSE FLUID STATION AND SHUTTLE BUS ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS, ALL VOLUNTEERS SHOULD REPORT TO THE VOLUNTEER CHECK-IN TENT AT PLAYSTEAD PARK NO LATER THAN THE TIME LISTED ON THEIR ASSIGNMENT CONFIRMATION EMAIL (OR LETTER, IF NO EMAIL EXISTS).
- At volunteer check-in you will receive your t-shirt and attend a brief orientation session before you begin your assignment.
- At this session, you will receive detailed instructions as to your responsibilities and tour the area where you will be working.
- You will meet your Team Captain and have an opportunity to ask questions.
VOLUNTEER TIPS AND GUIDELINES:
- Please stay in your assigned area. This is critical in order to serve the runners in an efficient manner and as best we can.
- Dress casually and for the weather. Please wear your volunteer T-shirt at all times as your outer most layer and wear comfortable shoes.
- Please do not bring any backpacks or valuables with you to your assignment. All bags are subject to search by B.A.A. security personnel or authority of the town your volunteer job is in. We are not responsible for lost or stolen items. Also, please do not bring cameras, children or pets.
- This is a healthy, athletic event – all volunteers will be required to obey the NO SMOKING rule.
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR DEDICATED RUNNING CLUBS, WHO VOLUNTEER WITH US EVERY YEAR:
Cambridge Running Club
Central Mass Striders
Heartbreak Hill Striders
Parkway Running Club
Run for the Memory, Alzheimer's Association
Shamrock Running Club
Somerville Road Runners
Wampanoag Road Runners
“We had a great day today; fantastic race as always. I just wanted to let you know how honored we are to be able to help out at the B.A.A. events. It really is a great time and we have a lot of fun. We are a very enthusiastic bunch for an early Sunday morning. And on B.A.A. volunteer days we are extra happy because we are not running. LOL!!” - Kim Wamback, Central Mass Striders Volunteer
“I had an awesome time and our Team Captain Brian was a great person to work with; can not wait to sign up again for future events.” - Freddie Sanchez, Volunteer
“Your staff and volunteers are tremendous – encouraging in every aspect of the event – from baggage check to picking up my trophy – I mean tee-shirt. The folks at the course amenities were super – full of energy and encouragement – even the greeters and shuttle drivers were just positive all the way around.” - Jeanne, B.A.A. Half Marathon Finisher
"Thank you for giving me the opportunity to volunteer on Sunday. It was such an amazing experience being on the other side of the race. It was great to meet you.. and I had a lot of fun!!!" - Jessica, Run for the Memory Team Volunteer
Community and Volunteer Services
Boston Athletic Association
40 Trinity Place, 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02116
617-236-1652 X 2630