How to qualify for the Boston Marathon
To qualify for the Boston Marathon, athletes must meet time standards which correspond to age and gender. The qualifying standards for the 2018 Boston Marathon remain unchanged from recent years.
2018 BOSTON MARATHON QUALIFYING STANDARDS
Effective September 17, 2016. All standards below are based on official submitted net time.
||3hrs 05min 00sec
||3hrs 35min 00sec|
||3hrs 10min 00sec
||3hrs 40min 00sec|
||3hrs 15min 00sec
||3hrs 45min 00sec|
||3hrs 25min 00sec
||3hrs 55min 00sec|
||3hrs 30min 00sec
||4hrs 00min 00sec|
||3hrs 40min 00sec
||4hrs 10min 00sec|
||3hrs 55min 00sec
||4hrs 25min 00sec|
||4hrs 10min 00sec
||4hrs 40min 00sec|
||4hrs 25min 00sec
||4hrs 55min 00sec|
||4hrs 40min 00sec
||5hrs 10min 00sec|
|80 and over
||4hrs 55min 00sec
||5hrs 25min 00sec|
A FEW IMPORTANT NOTES
ACHIEVING ONE'S QUALIFYING STANDARD DOES NOT GUARANTEE ENTRY, BUT SIMPLY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SUBMIT FOR REGISTRATION.
- If total amount of submissions surpass the allotted field size for qualified athletes, then those who are the fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender group will be accepted.
- For the 2018 Boston Marathon, qualifying times must be run on or after Saturday, September 17, 2016.
- The acceptance of official race entrants will be based on qualifying time, with the fastest qualifiers (in relation to their age and gender) being accepted first until the race is full.
- The qualifying window will remain open until the conclusion of registration for the 2018 Boston Marathon (once the maximum field size has been reached).
- Only a certified full marathon distance will be accepted for qualifying.
- Distances shorter than a full marathon will not be accepted.
- We do not accept indoor marathon times.
- We accept qualifying times from USATF or AIMS certified courses.
- All qualifying times are subject to review and verification.
- Minimum age requirement for the Boston Marathon is 18 years of age on race day.
- All standards below are based on official submitted net time.
- The qualifying times below are based upon each athlete's age on the date of the 2018 Boston Marathon (April 16, 2018).
- The Boston Marathon does not designate which races meet qualifying standards. You must contact the race directly to see if they are certified.
- Though the B.A.A. will email registrants upon the completion of their form, runners are not officially entered into the race until their qualifying time is verified. This length of time may vary and can be as long as several days, depending on the qualifying marathon.
All of the above information is subject to change