Registration Protection Overview
The Boston Athletic Association is proud to offer you the option to protect your registration through its Registration Protection program. Athletes can elect to upgrade to the Registration Protection program at the point of registration for the 128th Boston Marathon, scheduled to take place on Monday, April 15, 2024.
This program authorizes you to get a refund of your race entry fees, but must be selected during the event registration process. Upon formal acceptance into the Boston Marathon, athletes will be charged for the race entry, ancillary purchases and the registration protection fee, if that option is selected. Athletes will receive confirmation emails separately from the B.A.A. and Protecht, the company that services our Registration Protection program. The email from Protecht will confirm your selection of the Registration Protection program and include the reference number needed in the event of filing a refund request.
Refunds available for inability to race due to:
- Loss of job for athlete;
- Severe weather which prevents athlete from attending race;
- Complications of pregnancy;
- Serious injury or unforeseen illness occurring to the athlete or athlete's family member, including COVID;
- Athlete on active military duty;
- Athlete being involved in a traffic accident;
- Mechanical breakdown of athlete's vehicle within 48 hours of event;
- Fire, flood, burglary, vandalism or natural disaster causing athlete's home to be uninhabitable;
- Additional Refund Reasons detailed in the Registration Protection Program wording that is available at purchase and upon confirmation of purchase by email.
- DETAILS AND SOME LIMITATIONS APPLY. Please see the Registration Protection program wording provided at point of registration and in your confirmation email and here: The exclusions are dependent on your state or country of residence. Please refer to Protecht for additional terms & conditions: Registration Protection Terms and Conditions
- If the B.A.A. and event organizers cancel the race due to factors outside of their control;
- DETAILS AND SOME LIMITATIONS APPLY. Please see the Registration Protection program wording provided at point of registration and in confirmation email and here: Registration Protection terms and conditions
Can registration protection be canceled after purchasing?
- Domestic athletes have 72 hours to cancel their registration protection purchase and receive a refund.
- International athletes have 14 days to cancel their registration protection purchase and receive a refund.
- The cancellation window would begin once the athlete receives their race acceptance & Registration Protection confirmation emails.