Registration is closed for the 2016 Boston Marathon
REGISTRATION UPDATE -
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 10:00 a.m. ET
We at the Boston Athletic Association are appreciative of the support of the running community towards the Boston Marathon, and understand the desire from so many to run Boston. Unfortunately, we are not able to accept everyone. A total of 28,594 runners submitted applications into the 2016 Boston Marathon during Week One and Week Two of registration, with 24,032 runners being accepted into the race. Those who ran 2:28 or faster than their age and gender qualifying times were accepted into the 2016 Boston Marathon. For a detailed breakdown of registration numbers, including time cut-offs, please click the button below:
FULL LIST OF REGISTRATION UPDATES
To see a full list of updates regarding registration for the 2016 Boston Marathon, click the button below:
ABOUT THE 2016 BOSTON MARATHON
The 120th Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 18, 2016, Patriots’ Day in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and for the 31st consecutive year the event will be sponsored by John Hancock Financial. Registration will be held entirely online at www.baa.org. The qualification window for the 2016 Boston Marathon began on Saturday, September 13, 2014, and will remain open until the conclusion of registration for the 2016 Boston Marathon. To qualify for the Boston Marathon, athletes must meet time standards which correspond to age and gender. The qualifying standards for the 2016 Boston Marathon remain unchanged from recent years.
Registration occured on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers.
- On Monday, September 14 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration opened for eligible runners who met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more.
- On Wednesday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration opened for those who met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more.
- On Friday, September 18 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration opened for for those who met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more.
- Registration closed on Saturday, September 19 at 10:00 p.m. ET.
- Registration re-opened for all qualifiers from Monday, September 21 at 10:00 a.m. ET through Wednesday, September 23 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
- As during the first week of registration, entry during this period (Sept. 21-23) was not on a first-come, first-served and the fastest qualifiers in their gender and age group among these submissions were granted entry as space allowed.
A MESSAGE FROM BOSTON ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR TOM GRILK
“Participating in the Boston Marathon is a pinnacle achievement in the lives of a great many distance runners,” said Tom Grilk, B.A.A. Executive Director. "We are keenly aware of the dedication and commitment required to meet the B.A.A.’s qualifying standards for the Boston Marathon, and we recognize their achievement in our registration process.”
The registration process ensures that the fastest qualifiers will be accepted first. However, achieving one’s qualifying standard does not guarantee entry. Those who are the fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender group will be accepted.
The registration fee for the 2016 Boston Marathon for qualifiers is $180.00 USD for United States residents and $240.00 USD for international residents.
Working in cooperation with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the eight cities and towns along the Boston Marathon route, the B.A.A. will set and announce the field size for the 2016 Boston Marathon this summer. The 2013 Boston Marathon had 27,000 official entrants, the special 118th Boston Marathon in 2014 featured a larger field size of 36,000 entrants, and the 2015 Boston Marathon had a field size of 30,000 official entrants.
A FEW IMPORTANT NOTES
- The 2016 Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 18, 2016, Patriots’ Day in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- The qualifying standards for the 2017 Boston Marathon remain the same as in previous years.
- Though the B.A.A. will email registrants upon the completion of their form, runners are not officially entered into the race until their qualifying time is verified. This length of time may vary and can be as long as several days, depending on the qualifying marathon.
- The qualification window for the 2017 Boston Marathon began on Saturday, September 19, 2015, and will remain open until the conclusion of registration for the 2017 Boston Marathon.
- Registration dates for the 2017 Boston Marathon have not yet been announced.
- The 2017 Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 17, 2017.
All of the above information is subject to change