McLean Hospital is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and a member of Mass General Brigham. McLean provides comprehensive clinical services, conducts cutting-edge research and trains mental health professionals. As the flagship psychiatric teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, McLean maintains the largest neuroscience and psychiatry research program of any private hospital in the United States. McLean’s primary campus is located in Belmont, MA.
McLean was founded in 1811 under a charter granted by the Massachusetts legislature and welcomed its first patient in 1818. McLean offers extensive services for children, adults and the elderly with clinical expertise in a broad range of behavioral and psychiatric illnesses, including depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder, personality disorders, anxiety, stress and trauma-related disorders, substance use disorders and others.
McLean also runs two day schools serving students from elementary to high school (Arlington School and Pathways Academy) on its Belmont campus. In addition, McLean runs a satellite program in Middleborough and operates specialized facilities across Massachusetts in Princeton, Lincoln, Cambridge, Brighton and Petersham.
McLean maintains the largest neuroscience and psychiatry research program of any private psychiatric hospital in the United States. Features include:
- More than 130 principal investigators in >70 research laboratories who conduct ~$78M in research studies annually aimed at discovering better avenues for prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of psychiatric illnesses.
- A leading psychiatric brain imaging facility dedicated to research in psychiatric and addiction disorders.
- The Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center, known as the “Brain Bank,” which provides tissue samples for research efforts worldwide.
As a teaching hospital for Harvard Medical School, McLean educates and mentors more than 600 clinical trainees, doctoral students, and post-doctoral fellows each year.
McLean is ranked #1 overall for psychiatry nationwide and is the #1 ranked freestanding psychiatric hospital by U.S. News and World Report.
McLean Hospital is dedicated to improving the lives of people and families affected by psychiatric illness. McLean pursues this by:
- Providing the highest quality compassionate, specialized, and effective clinical care, in partnership with those whom we serve
- Conducting state-of-the-art scientific investigation to maximize discovery and accelerate translation of results towards achieving prevention and cures
- Training the next generation of leaders in psychiatry, mental health, and neuroscience.
We dedicate ourselves each and every day to McLean’s mission of clinical care, scientific discovery, professional training and public education in order to improve the lives of people with psychiatric illness and their families. In all our work, we strive to:
- Conduct ourselves with unwavering integrity
- Demonstrate compassion and respect for our patients, their families and our colleagues
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity and promotes teamwork