All materials and content included on this web site are copyrighted and may not be reproduced, stored in or reintroduced into a retrieval system, or retransmitted in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical, recording or otherwise) for commercial purposes without the prior written permission of both the owner and the above publisher of this web site.
Boston Marathon, B.A.A. Marathon, and the B.A.A. Unicorn logo are registered trademarks of the Boston Athletic Association. Use of these trademarks without written permission from the Boston Athletic Association is prohibited.
The Boston Athletic Association does not authorize the use of photographs posted on www.baa.org. All inquires for use of the photographs at this web site will be referred to the owner of the materials in question. The owners of the photographs have authorized the use of these photographs by the B.A.A. only. This use is limited to the web site only.
Effective August 20, 2018
The information that we collect in connection with our Services is controlled by the Boston Athletic Association, which is headquartered in the United States at 185 Dartmouth Street, 6th floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02116. As a result, such information may be transferred to and processed in the United States, as described in the section below titled “Information for Individuals Outside the United States.”
Information that We Collect
We and our service providers collect a variety of information through the Services, including:
- Account and profile information. We collect information when you create an account or edit your profile, such as your name, username, password, email address, race history, and volunteer experience.
- Event registration or volunteer information. We collect information when you register or volunteer for a race or other event, such as your name, address, email address, phone number, country of residence, citizenship, age or date of birth, gender, race history and experience, club affiliation, occupation, emergency contacts, and self-reported disability status, proof of disability, or other health-related information that you provide directly to us as necessary for participation in a race or other event. Our third-party service providers may also collect your payment card information when you submit your registration.
- Race activities and results. We collect information when you participate in a race or other event that we organize. For example, we may collect information about your real-time location during a race (such as your progress along the course), your race times and splits, and your finishing results. We may share this information with the general public through our Services, as described in the section below titled “How We Share Information.”
- Information you provide to us directly or through the Services. We collect information that you provide to us directly or through the Services, such as when you post questions or comments, respond to surveys, rate the Apps, or communicate with us.
- Information collected automatically. When you use our Services, we or our third-party service providers may automatically receive and record certain information. For example, this may include your device’s IP address, user-agent string, information about your use of the Services during your current session and over time (including the pages you view and the files you download), the date and time of your visit, links you click, searches conducted, the website visited before navigating to the Services, your software and hardware attributes (including browser and operating system type and version, App version, device type, and device identifiers), and your general location inferred from IP address. To obtain such information, we or our third-party service providers may use the following technologies to recognize your device and collect information about your Services usage:
- Server logs. When you use the Services, we automatically receive and record certain information from your computer (or other device) and your browser. To obtain such information, we may use server logs or applications that recognize your device and gather information about its online activity.
- Web beacons, tags, pixels, and similar technologies. The Services or the emails that you receive from us may use an application known as a “web beacon” (also known as a “tag” or “pixel”) and similar technologies. Web beacons are small strings of code that provide a method for delivering a graphic image on a web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring data. For example, it may allow an email sender to determine whether a user has opened a particular email.
- Mobile advertising IDs. We may use mobile advertising identifiers (such as Apple’s IDFA or Google’s Advertising ID) to collect information for analytics purposes, as described in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics.”
How We Use Information that We Collect
We and our service providers use the information that we collect for a variety of purposes, including:
- Providing the Services. To provide our Services to you, organize races and events, fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us, respond to your requests, and for other purposes related to managing our organization;
- Communicating with you. To communicate with you regarding your account, events for which you have registered or volunteered, important updates regarding our Services, and other administrative issues;
- Sending B.A.A. newsletters or other promotional messages. To send you newsletters or other promotional messages regarding our Services and the events that we organize;
- Enabling community features. To allow you to ask questions, post comments, and communicate with other users on the Services;
- Tailoring our content and advertisements. To tailor content on the Services and target our advertising;
- Conducting analytics and improving our services. To count and recognize visitors to the Services, analyze how visitors use the Services, improve the Services, create new products and services, and conduct analytics, including as described in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics”;
- Compiling aggregated and de-identified information. To compile aggregated and de-identified statistics or reports that we may share with our partners or other third parties;
- Legal purposes. For legal or other necessary purposes, including as described below in the section below titled “How We Share information.”
How We Share Information
We share information with third parties for a variety of reasons, including as follows:
- Other users of the Services. We may allow you to share information directly with other users of the Services. For example, if you post questions or comments to other users through the Services, add information to your profile, respond to surveys or requests to rate the Apps, or use other features of the Services, then your questions, comments, profile, or other information may be seen by other users of the Services. Please ensure when using these features that you do not submit any information that you do not want to be shared with other users or the public.
- Our partners. We may share information about final race results with our partners, including other non-profit organizations, sports organizations, or researchers who may use the final race results to confirm race eligibility/disqualification, generate reports, or conduct academic research.
- Live updates and final race results. If you participate in a race that we organize, we may share certain information about you with the general public. For example, we may share your name, age group, gender, state and country of residence, and final race results through our Websites and Apps. We also may share your real-time location during a race (such as your progress along the course), race times and splits, and final results so that others can track your progress.
- Legal purposes. We may use or share your information with third parties when we believe, in our sole reasonable discretion, that doing so is necessary:
- To comply with applicable law or a court order, subpoena, or other legal process;
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or prohibited activities, suspected fraud, violations of our rules or terms and conditions, or situations involving threats to other athletes, volunteers or users, our property, or the property or physical safety of any person or third party;
- To establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Organizational transfers. We may share your information with third parties to facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, merger, acquisition, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, or other disposal of all or part of our organization or assets.
- Aggregated and de-identified information. We may share aggregated and de-identified information with third parties, such as by publishing or sharing reports with third parties about trends in the usage of the B.A.A. Services.
Please note that our Services do not respond to browser Do Not Track signals at this time.
Third-Party Links, Websites, and Apps
Data Security and Retention
B.A.A. uses reasonable physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect your information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification, or deletion. However, no security program is 100% secure, and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information.
Your Rights and Choices
B.A.A. provides you with choices to review, access, and update your information or to exercise your data protection rights, as follows:
- If you no longer want to receive our newsletters or other promotional communications from B.A.A., please follow the “unsubscribe” instructions that are included at the bottom of each message. Please note that if you unsubscribe from our promotional communications, you will still receive administrative messages from us.
- If you are a California resident under 18 years of age and a registered user of our Services, you may request that we remove content and information that you post on our Services. To obtain removal of such content and information, please send us an email to email@example.com with a short description of the content or information you would like to have removed. Please note that such a request does not necessarily ensure complete or comprehensive removal of content posted by you, since the content and information may remain in our or our service provider’s databases, may remain visible in a manner that does not identify you, or may have been re-posted by another user.
- You may have additional rights under applicable laws to request access to, correction of, deletion of, or restrictions on the processing of certain information. You also may have rights under applicable laws to opt out of or withdraw consent to further processing, request copies of your data, or lodge a complaint with a data protection authority in your jurisdiction. To make such request and/or inquire about such rights, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Attn: Privacy/Legal” in the subject line. For your protection, we may only implement requests related to information that we have associated with the email address you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request.
Information for Individuals Outside the United States
We may implement standard contractual clauses, contractual arrangements, or other mechanisms, as appropriate, to safeguard your information during such cross-border transfers. We also may transfer information to the United States or another country as necessary for the performance of our agreements with you or to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims.
The Services are not intended for nor directed to individuals that are deemed to be children under applicable data protection or privacy laws. We request that such individuals do not provide information to us through any of the Services.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive information (e.g., social security numbers, financial account information, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic or biometric data, or sexual orientation) on or through the Services or otherwise to us, except for self-reported disability status, proof of disability, or other health-related information that you provide directly to us as necessary for participation in a race or other event.
Boston Athletic Association
185 Dartmouth Street
Boston MA 02116