Information on Getting to the Boston Marathon Start Line
TRANSPORTATION TO THE START
The recommended way to get to the start in Hopkinton on race morning is by using the official B.A.A. buses between 6:00 a.m. and 9:33 a.m.
Bus loading will take place at the Tremont Street side of Boston Common in Boston’s Back Bay (see bus loading map to the right, click to enlarge).
Transportation to the start is for official runners only. Each runner must show his/her bib number upon boarding. We are not able to provide transportation to the start from Boston for family and friends. Limited transportation from Boston to both parking areas in Hopkinton will be available after the race at no charge. Buses will leave from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. from the corner of Stanhope and Clarendon streets. You must show your bib number upon boarding.
Buses will be loaded according to the wave to which you have been assigned. In order to load all the buses efficiently, avoid delays, and get to the start on time, we strongly recommend the following bus loading schedule:
|WAVE||BIB COLOR||BIB NUMBER||BUS LOADING TIME||ARRIVAL TIME|
||101 - 7,700
||6:00 - 6:48 a.m.
||7:07 - 7:55 a.m.|
||8,000 - 15,600
||7:00 - 7:48 a.m.
||8:07 - 8:55 a.m.|
||16,000 - 23,600
||7:55 - 8:43 a.m.
||9:02 - 9:50 a.m.|
||24,000 - 32,500
||8:45 - 9:33 a.m.
||9:52 - 10:40 a.m.|
PARKING IN HOPKINTON
Parking in Hopkinton is extremely limited and security measures may slow access from the parking areas for spectators and runners. We STRONGLY recommend that all entrants take the official B.A.A. buses from Boston to Hopkinton on race morning, as it is the only way we can ensure that you will get into Hopkinton.
- Please note that the roads within the town of Hopkinton close at 7:00 a.m. and no street parking will be available.
- Limited runner parking is available at the South Street lot and volunteer/spectator parking at the Hopkinton State Park on Route 85.
- Once these lots are full, we will only allow runner drop-off at a designated lot on South Street.
- Plan accordingly and give yourself ample time. Expect delays!
Please do not park illegally, as it will jeopardize the transportation system and will result in the vehicle being towed at the owner’s expense.
- There will be no on-street parking allowed in the town of Hopkinton.
Hopkinton State Park parking and shuttle is for volunteers and spectators only.
- Registered runners parking at this location and using this shuttle will not be transported to the Athletes’ Village and will have to walk an additional one mile from the drop-off point to the Village. These runners may be subject to additional security screening to enter the Village.
- Registered runners are requested to use the shuttle buses from the South Street parking lots in order to ensure timely arrival at the Athletes’ Village.
IF YOU DECIDE TO DRIVE
- Directions from Boston to South Street parking lot – Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) to Route 495 South to exit 21B. Also take exit 21B if coming from Route 495 North.
- Or from Boston and all other directions to the Hopkinton State Park – Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) to Route 9 (exit 12). Follow Route 9 West to Route 85 South.
All the information above is subject to change