The Wheelchair Division is a competitive division for athletes who use racing wheelchairs in track and road racing events and hold a national or World Para Athletics classification.
- The athlete must hold a national or WPA classification T51 – T54, T33 or T34 at time of registration with an New (N), Review (R), or Confirmed (C) status. Impairment documentation may be accepted for non-elite athletes in lieu of classification at the B.A.A.’s discretion.
|T54||Normal arm muscle power with a range of trunk muscle power extending from partial trunk control to normal trunk control.|
|T53||Normal arm muscle power with no abdominal and no lower spinal muscle activity.|
|T52||Use shoulder, elbow, and wrist for propulsion. Poor to normal muscle power of the finger flexors and extensors. Usually has no muscle power in the trunk.|
|T51||Use elbow flexors and wrist dorsiflexes for propulsion. Decrease in shoulder power. Usually has no muscle power in the trunk.|
|T34||Diplegia caused by hypertonia, athetosis, or ataxia. Normal functional strength of upper limbs and minimal trunk limitation.|
|T33||Quadriplegia, triplegia, or hemiplegia caused by hypertonia, athetosis, or ataxia. Limitation of upper limb(s) and trunk control.|
- Wheelchair athletes must achieve or better their respective qualifying time by age, gender, and classification on a certified marathon course during the qualifying window.
- The qualifying window for the 2021 Boston Marathon opened September 15, 2018.
- Athletes have until the day they register to achieve their qualifying time.
|T53 / T54 / T34||18-39||2:00:00||2:25:00|
|50 and over||2:30:00||2:55:00|
|T51 / T52 / T33||18-39||2:45:00||3:10:00|
|50 and over||3:15:00||3:40:00|
Wheelchair athletes who hold a current national or WPA classification and who have achieved the following high-performance standard during the current qualifying window may be considered for a complimentary entry.
- Men: Sub 1 hour 31 minutes (1:31:00)
- Women: Sub 1 hour 52 minutes (1:52:00)
RULES OF COMPETITION
- The Wheelchair Division of the Boston Marathon follows World Para Athletics Rules and Regulations.
- Athletes must compete in racing wheelchairs that meet the wheelchair requirements specified by World Para Athletics.
- The maximum field size of the Wheelchair Division of the 2021 Boston Marathon is 45.
- Wheelchair competitors are scored against one another by gender and results will be listed in order of finish.
- Wheelchair athletes are not scored against runners.
AWARDS & PRIZE MONEY
- Only wheelchair athletes who hold a national or WPA classification are eligible for prize money.
- The overall top 3 men and women in the Wheelchair Division will receive awards.
- The men's and women's winners of the T51/T52/T33 class will receive an award.
- Visit Prize Money to view the Wheelchair Division prize purse of the Boston Marathon.