The Esplanade is the premier running trail in Greater Boston. Every day, thousands log their miles amidst the Esplanade’s gorgeous gardens, towering trees, and engaging events. Each year, the excitement builds for the Boston Marathon among runners who turn to the Esplanade’s riverfront pathways and footbridges as the setting for their training runs.
The 64-acre Esplanade has become a runner’s oasis and a park to be loved by all due to the public-private partnership between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Esplanade Association.
The Esplanade Association (Esplanade.org) is a privately funded non-profit organization whose work to revitalize, enhance, program, and maintain the park includes:
- HORTICULTURE: Caring for a lush canopy of trees, maintaining beautiful gardens, and leading 2,000 volunteers a year who help care for the park
- ARTS & CULTURE: Commissioning public art, including the Hatched light and sound show in Winter 2021, three murals in 2019, and showcasing local musical acts on the Hatch Shell Stage
- HEALTH & FITNESS: Hosting seasonal 5Ks and dozens of free fitness classes, jointly caring for the Teddy Ebersol’s Red Sox Fields
- CHILDREN & FAMILIES: Building & maintaining three Esplanade playgrounds, hosting free field days for local summer camps, and hosting family-friendly events, tours, and scavenger hunts
- PARK ENHANCEMENTS: Installing welcome signs with mileage maps, rehabbing historic monuments and park elements, and partnering to bring the popular Owl’s Nest beer garden to the park (a great place for a post-run refreshment!)
Help further the Esplanade Association’s ability to care for the Esplanade and to make this beloved park a welcoming place for millions of visitors each year. Become a member of TEAM ESPLANADE!