The Esplanade Association (esplanadeassociation.org) is a 100% privately-funded nonprofit organization that works to revitalize and enhance the Charles River Esplanade, sustain its natural green space, and build community in the park by providing educational, cultural, and recreational programs for everyone.
The Esplanade Association’s core focus areas to improve the experience of park visitors include:
- Promoting healthy lifestyles: hosting dozens of free fitness classes every summer, leading the Esplanade’s largest 5K run, pursuing safe use of the pathways for all park users, and ensuring the Esplanade is home to a vibrant running community.
- Free programs for the community: hosting free events and activities throughout the year, and bringing urban day camps for children from throughout Boston to the park for active fun.
- Investing in places for families: building and maintaining two playgrounds and partnering to care for the Teddy Ebersol’s Red Sox Fields.
- Revitalizing, maintaining and improving the park: spearheading capital improvements to historic park structures (fountains, docks, and lawns, including the revered Hatch Shell Oval).
- Garden design and tree/garden care: designing and organically maintaining 12 ornamental garden beds and investing in the long-term health of the park’s 1,700 trees.
- Volunteer stewardship: Leading 2,000 volunteers a year as they dedicate their time to clean, beautify, enhance, and restore the Esplanade.
- Arts and culture: commissioning public art and bringing free music to intimate venues throughout the park.
The Esplanade has become Greater Boston’s preferred training route for Marathon runners. Stretching 3.3 miles from the Museum of Science to the BU Bridge, with breathtaking views of the Charles River and the Boston and Cambridge skylines, the Esplanade has been named ‘Best Running Route’ (Boston Magazine) and ‘Boston’s most beautiful running route’ (Boston.com). Data from Strava shows that the Esplanade is the region’s most popular running route.
We’re thrilled to work with TEAM ESPLANADE to give back to this beloved park and training route!