As principal sponsor, John Hancock provided the first prize purse in 1986 and continues that tradition today.
- Top finishers have received more than $20 million in prize money and course-record bonuses over the past 35 years.
- Prize money at the Boston Marathon is equally distributed amongst men and women in the Open, Masters, and Wheelchair Division.
- The 125th Boston Marathon will feature a restructured prize purse that recognizes and celebrates world class performances in Boston, while maintaining the largest prize purse of the Abbott World Marathon Majors. Among the incentives debuting in October are equal course record bonuses for the Open and Wheelchair Divisions and the introduction of prize money for the inaugural Para Athletics Divisions. The Boston Marathon will make history as the first Abbott World Marathon Major event to offer equal $50,000 course record bonuses across open and wheelchair divisions, and the first event to provide a designated prize purse for athletes with upper limb, lower limb, and visual impairments.
|Place||Open Division||Wheelchair Division||Masters Division||Para Divisions**|
*Additionally, the men’s and women’s winner of the T51/T52 class will each receive $1,500.
**$27,500 in prize money is awarded to Para athletes across three Para Athletics Divisions; more information on the Para Athletics Division prize purse can be found here.
- Only men and women (open or masters) starting in the Professional starts are eligible for prize money.
- The B.A.A. has discretion to add athletes to the Professional Men’s and Women’s Start based on an athlete’s past performances.
- Within the Professional starts, prize money will be allocated based on gun-time.
COURSE RECORD BONUS
- The Boston Marathon is the first Abbott World Marathon Major event to offer equal $50,000 course record bonuses across open and wheelchair divisions.
|Open Course Record Bonus||$50,000|
|Wheelchair Course Record Bonus||$50,000|
AGE GROUP AWARDS
- Age group awards will be given to the top 3 in each division.
- Awards are courtesy of Long’s Jewelers.