Boston Marathon Course Information
OFFICIAL COURSE MAP PRESENTED BY
- The legendary Boston Marathon course starts in Hopkinton, MA and ends on Boylston Street in Boston, MA.
- See below for the course map and a full list of amenities along the course.
- No portion of the Boston Marathon course map may be reproduced.
BOSTON MARATHON COURSE AMENITIES
- Poland Spring Water and Lemon Lime Gatorade Endurance Formula stations will be set up along the course beginning at Mile Two.
Maurten Hydrogel Depot
- Three Maurten Hydrogel stations will be located on the course: mile 11.8 on the Wellesley town line; mile 17 in Newton; and at mile 21.5 just after Boston College.
- Maurten’s Gel 100 (non-caffeinated) and Gel 100 CAF 100 (caffeinated) will be available.
Course Clocks and Mile/Kilometer Signage
- Digital clocks, positioned at every 5K mark and key mile locations, indicate the unofficial running time from the 9:00 a.m. start only.
- Signage indicates mile and 5K marks.
- Runners unable to finish the race may stop for assistance and direction at one of the 26 medical stations along the course.
- Sweep buses pick up runners at every medical station with drop-off at the Finish Area medical tent.
- Aid stations along the course close at staggered times during the day.
- Finish area facilities officially close at approximately 5:30 p.m.
- Runners still out on the course when officials determine that it is time to reopen the roads (approximately a 14:23 minute-per-mile pace) will be instructed to move to the right side of the road.
- Once roads begin to reopen to vehicular traffic, course infrastructure (such as timing systems, course clocks, medical stations, and water stations) will all begin to close and cease operation.
- Runners on the course after this time accept that they will be on their own and should plan accordingly.
- The B.A.A. will have a team of cyclists in the rear of the pack to assist runners who are at or slower than 14:23-minute-per-mile pace.
- See road closure information below.
|LOCATION||TIME OF CLOSURE|
|Hopkinton||7:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.|
|Ashland||6:15 a.m. - 1:20 p.m.|
|Framingham||7:30 a.m. - 1:55 p.m.|
|Natick||7:30 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.|
|Wellesley||7:30 a.m. - 3:35 p.m.|
|Newton||7:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.|
|Brookline||8:00 a.m. - 5:45 p.m.|
|Boston||Variable - 7:00 p.m.|
- For your convenience and use during the race, the B.A.A. provides toilets at every water and medical station, as well as at additional locations along the course.
- Please respect the communities through which the Boston Marathon runs by taking advantage of these facilities, if needed.