More than 4,000 runners have completed their Boston Marathon Virtual Experience since race week opened on Saturday, September 5. Runners from 50 states and 55 countries have already completed 26.2-miles within their neighborhoods, spreading the spirit and camaraderie of the Boston Marathon throughout the world.
The 124th Boston Marathon Virtual Experience started on September 5 and will conclude on September 14. Participants have 10 days to cover 26.2-miles in one continuous run within their neighborhood to earn their B.A.A. unicorn medal and be recognized as a Boston Marathon finisher.
124th Boston Marathon Virtual Experience Participants Facts
- 17,945 participants including, citizens of 97 countries and residents of all 50 states, are entered in the 124th Boston Marathon Virtual Experience
- 4,463 Boston Marathoners from all 50 states and 55 countries have already completed 26.2 miles and submitted their finish time for the Boston Marathon Virtual Experience (as of September 10, 9:00AM ET)
- Monday, September 7 had the greatest number of finishers
- Top five data as of September 10, 11:00AM ET
- The top five countries: United States (3,365), Canada (359), United Kingdom (128), China (119), Brazil (86)
- The top five states: Massachusetts (656), California* (341), New York (204), Texas (158), Pennsylvania (122)
- The top five cities: Boston (63), New York (57), San Diego (40), London (33), TIED: Seattle (29), Beijing (29)
- Two Boston Marathon Champions are entered in the Boston Marathon Virtual Experience: Five-time wheelchair champion Tatyana McFadden completed her race on Monday, while reigning wheelchair champion Daniel Romanchuk will complete his 26.2-miles later this week
*Due to the devastating fires occurring on the West Coast, residents participating in California and on the West Coast have been granted an extension to complete their virtual run.
Coming up soon
- Des Linden, 2018 Boston Marathon Champion and John Hancock Champion Ambassador, will be interviewed live by Lisa Hughes on Boston Marathon Live on Thursday, September 10 at 8:00PM ET and re-aired at midnight on CBSBoston.com.
- Flyover of the Boston Marathon course featuring two black hawk helicopters Monday, September 14 at 10:00AM ET
- The Boston Marathon Mile 27 Post-Race Party presented by Samuel Adams will be held virtually on Monday, September 14 at 8:00 p.m. ET live from Fenway Park. An hour-long broadcast will be hosted by WBZ-TV’s Lisa Hughes and will be aired on CBSBoston.com and on the Virtual Tables platform exclusively for Boston Marathon Virtual Experience participants and volunteers. The Post-Race Party will feature special messages and appearances from Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, B.A.A. CEO Tom Grilk, and many more. The program will also feature a special cooking demonstration with chef and Wahlburgers star Paul Wahlberg.
- The Boston Marathon Virtual Expo continues through September 15 with Main Stage programming, interviews, panels, and an array of shopping opportunities from the leading brands in running and wellness.
B.A.A. Gives Back
- 4,804 Boston Marathon volunteers have pledged to give back to their communities as part of the Boston Marathon Virtual Volunteer Challenge and #BAAGivesBack. 1,296 volunteers opted to donate their Boston Marathon Volunteer jacket to a frontline worker
- The B.A.A. is donating 4,500 Boston Marathon jackets to frontline workers in gratitude for their tireless work battling the pandemic. Locations where jackets have been confirmed to be dropped off, starting the week of the Virtual Experience, are:
- Michael Lisnow Respite Center in Hopkinton
- Hopkinton Senior Center
- MetroWest YMCA in Framingham
- Natick Service Council
- MetroWest Medical Center in Framingham
- The Brookline Center for Community Mental Health
- Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Back on My Feet in Boston
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
- Tufts Medical Center
- American Red Cross
- In partnership with Gatorade Endurance, the B.A.A. also donated Gatorade products to:
- Project Just Because in Hopkinton
- United Way of Tri-County in Framingham
- A Place to Turn in Natick
- Greater Boston Food Bank
- In support of COVID-19 Response Efforts, the B.A.A. is offering a sweepstakes for a Boston Marathon VIP Experience for two including a three-night hotel stay steps from the finish; the opportunity to serve as an official race starter; VIP finish line seating and tickets to race events; a chance to sit in the race day announcer booth; and an adidas gift package. Every $10 donation is an entry to win; 100% of donations will go towards COVID-19 response efforts. To donate, text BAAGIVESBACK to 41-411 or visit the B.A.A.’s GoFundMe Charity page to donate.
Boston Marathon Live Highlights
- Boston Marathon Live presented by Amazon and WBZ-TV airs each night at 8:00 p.m. and midnight ET showcasing finishers, elite athletes, champions, and B.A.A. staff and coaches.
- Monday, September 7th featured an interview with B.A.A. CEO Tom Grilk, John Hancock Champions Panel with Des Linden, Daniel Romanchuk, Meb Keflezighi, and Tatyana McFadden
- Tuesday, September 8th featured live interviews with Meb Keflezighi and B.A.A. Race Director Dave McGillivray
- Wednesday, September 9th featured interviews with Olympian, Paralympic medalist and B.A.A. Para Athletes Manager Marla Runyan as well as 2016 Paralympian Chaz Davis.
Lighting Blue & Gold, Displaying B.A.A. Unicorn Flag
- Boston City Hall lit up blue and Gold on September 7 and will again on Monday, September 14 to celebrate the end of the Boston Marathon Virtual Experience; the B.A.A. Unicorn Flag, which has been flown since September 7, will remain up until September 14
- TD Garden exterior will be lit blue and gold September 9–14
- Zakim Bridge will be lit blue and gold on Monday, September 14
- Boston Public Library will display the B.A.A. Unicorn Flag September 12–14
- Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge (Worcester, MA) will be lit blue on September 14
Important Links & Information
- Results and leaderboards for the Boston Marathon Virtual Experience are available and updated in real-time as results are submitted.
- The 124th Boston Marathon Virtual Experience Official Program is available for runners, spectators, and supporters to download and read today. The Official Program is produced by the B.A.A. and Yankee Magazine.
- A virtual toolkit is available for all runners and supporters to download featuring a printable champion’s breaktape, mile markers, Entering town signs, and more.
- Participants are encouraged to use the hashtags #BostonMarathon and #finishSTRONG to celebrate their Boston Marathon Virtual Experience this year. Photos and videos from participants are highlighted throughout the Boston Marathon social media channels, as well as on Boston Marathon Live.