Total field size set at 30,000 entrants
BOSTON - The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) today continued its notification to applicants of their acceptance into the 2018 Boston Marathon®. In preparation for the 2018 Boston Marathon, the B.A.A. implemented the same registration process for qualified runners as it used in the 2012 through 2017 Boston Marathons, allowing the fastest qualifiers to register first. The 122nd Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 16, 2018 and will mark the 33rd consecutive year that the event will have John Hancock as its principal sponsor.
In cooperation with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the eight cities and towns along the Boston Marathon route, the B.A.A. has set the field size for the 2018 Boston Marathon at 30,000 official entrants. More than 80% of the field will be comprised of athletes who have met the qualifying standards. The balance will consist of invitational entrants, including runners participating as part of the Boston Marathon’s Official Charity Program and John Hancock’s Non-Profit Bib Program, as well as invited elite athletes.
Registration for runners who met the B.A.A.’s Qualifying Standards for the 2018 Boston Marathon began on Monday, September 11 using a “rolling admission” schedule and continued through Saturday, September 16. Registration re-opened on Monday, September 18 and application submissions were received through Wednesday, September 20. Registration was not first-come, first-served, but rather allowed for a more systematic and orderly application procedure with the fastest qualifiers of those who submitted entries accepted.
Qualifiers who were 3 minutes, 23 seconds (3:23) or faster than the qualifying time for their age group and gender were accepted into the 2018 Boston Marathon.
- 28,260 applications were received during the registration period for qualifiers.
- 23,198 Qualified applicants have been accepted to date or are in the process of being accepted, pending verification of their qualifying performance.
- 5,062 applicants were unable to be accepted due to the large number of eligible qualifiers who submitted an application for entry combined with field size limitations.
During the registration period, the breakdown of accepted Qualifiers was as follows:
- 4,691 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
- 7,673 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
- 7,505& Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 05 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
- 2,905 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 3 minutes, 23 seconds or faster.
- 424 Qualifiers were accepted based on finishing 10 or more consecutive Boston Marathons.
- 256 Qualified Athletes with Disabilities are expected to be accepted beginning October 16
On October 16, the B.A.A. will open registration for Athletes with Disabilities. During this time period, eligible athletes in the Push Rim Wheelchair Division, Visually Impaired Division, Mobility Impaired Program, Handcycle Program, and Duo Team Program can submit registration applications.
Qualifying performances for the 2018 Boston Marathon must have been run between September 17, 2016 and September 20, 2017. Notices via e-mail to those accepted will be issued by the B.A.A.
For reference, qualifiers needed to be two minutes, nine seconds or faster for their age group and gender for the 2017 Boston Marathon; two minutes, 28 seconds or faster for the 2016 Boston Marathon; one minute, two seconds or faster for the 2015 Boston Marathon; and one minute, 38 seconds or faster for the 2014 Boston Marathon.
"Each year, thousands of marathoners across the globe aspire to qualify for, compete in, and ultimately finish the Boston Marathon,” said Tom Grilk, B.A.A. Chief Executive Officer. “For many runners, completing the Boston Marathon is viewed as the ultimate goal in athletics. Informing those who have qualified that there is simply not enough space for everyone in the field is immensely difficult. Our entire organization at the B.A.A. has worked hard to ensure a fair process that gives runners who have qualified the best opportunity to enter the Boston Marathon. We thank runners for their understanding, cooperation, and support of the Boston Marathon year in and year out. We recognize and applaud their determination to participate in the Boston Marathon.”
Notices to those who submitted an application for entry but who were not accepted were also issued today.
* Qualified entrants for the 2018 Boston Marathon must have met the designated time standard that corresponds with their age group and gender in a certified marathon on or after September 17, 2016. Proof of qualification must accompany each athlete's application, and participants are required to be 18 years or older on Boston Marathon race day.
Qualifying performances achieved on or after Saturday, September 16, 2017 will be valid for 2019 Boston Marathon registration submissions. The registration dates for that year’s race have not yet been established.
ATHLETES WITH DISABILITIES - REGISTRATION DATES & QUALIFYING TIMES
Registration for individuals who wish to participate among the Push Rim Wheelchair Division, Visually Impaired Division, Mobility Impaired Program, Handcycle Program, and Duo Team Program will open on Monday, October 16, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. ET.