The Boston Athletic Association will celebrate the 128th running of the Boston Marathon presented by Bank of America on Monday, April 15, 2024.
Qualifier registration opened on Monday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET and closed on Friday, September 15, 2023, at 5:00 p.m. ET within Athletes' Village. Qualifier registration will not re-open, as the maximum qualifier field size has been reached.
Athletes who submitted qualifier applications during Registration Week were ranked based on their qualifying performance. On September 28, the B.A.A. announced qualifiers who have been accepted into the Boston Marathon. All applicants will receive an email notice on the status of their application.
Athletes are asked not to contact the B.A.A. to check on the status of their entry unless requested to do so by a member of our Athlete Services team.
- Registration for the 128th Boston Marathon opened on Monday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET and closed on Friday, September 15, 2023, at 5:00 p.m. ET.
- Registration took place entirely within the B.A.A.’s online platform, Athletes’ Village.
- All applications and qualifying times submitted between September 11-15 will be verified and ranked by the B.A.A. based on the amount of time an athlete has run under their respective qualifying standard.
- Registration from September 11-15 was not first-come, first-served.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance once the B.A.A. has verified all qualifying times and applications.
- If your application is accepted, only then will your credit card be charged the non-refundable, non-transferable, and non-deferable entry fee. You may notice a preauthorization draft on your credit card statement. This authorization will be removed within seven to 10 business days. The actual charge will not appear on your credit card until your entry has been verified and accepted, and you've received a confirmation of acceptance email. The preauthorization does not constitute acceptance into the race. Only athletes who are accepted into the Boston Marathon will be charged the entry fee.
- Please do not email the B.A.A. asking for a status update regarding your qualifying time verification or registration application. A member of our Athlete Services team will email you if we have any questions regarding your time.
- Due to field size limitations, achieving one's qualifying standard does not guarantee entry into the event, but simply the opportunity to submit a registration application.
- Click here to view Boston Marathon qualifying standards. The qualifying window for the the 128th Boston Marathon opened on September 1, 2022.
- Participants will have the opportunity to purchase registration protection at the point of registration. Participants who elected to purchase registration insurance, offered by RegShield, will be able to have entry fees refunded for multiple reasons including loss of job, pregnancy, illness, and injury. Refunds may only be eligible for those who purchase the insurance policy at the point of registration.
- Entries in the Boston Marathon are non-refundable, non-transferable, and non-deferable except for deferral requests made through the B.A.A.'s pregnancy and postpartum deferment policy. Only those who elect to purchase registration insurance may be eligible for refunds.
The Boston Athletic Association is actively working on expanding opportunities for non-binary athletes at our events, including the Boston Marathon.
With this being our second year featuring non-binary participation, we do not yet have enough data to establish non-binary qualifying times. Therefore, we will use the times listed here, as they are inclusive of the qualifying times for the two existing divisions. As we prepare for future races, participants can expect non-binary times to be updated accordingly.