ALLOWABLE AND PROHIBITED ITEMS
The B.A.A. does not implement security policies. Anything you attempt to bring into a secured area, despite descriptions below, is subject to the discretion of law enforcement officials.
- A one-gallon clear plastic bag to carry food items or sports drink only. This bag is subject to search. (only one clear plastic bag pack per runner). This clear, one-gallon plastic bag will be allowed on the official buses to Hopkinton. This bag will be provided in your participant packet, or you may use your own one gallon bag.
- Waist pack (no larger than 5 inches x 15 inches x 5 inches) to carry food, nutritional products, medicine, identification, cell phone, home/hotel key or other similar and necessary small items (only one waist pack per runner).
- Standard manufactured “fuel belt” (bottles must be one liter or smaller).
- Armband, which can carry a cellular phone or small camera.
- The use of headphones is discouraged but permitted.
- Additional layers of clothing may be worn on B.A.A. Shuttle Buses and in Hopkinton for warmth before the race.
- Clothing that will not be worn during the race must be discarded in Hopkinton and will be donated to a local charitable organization.
- Personal hydration system products (such as CamelBak®, Thor®, etc).
- Weight vests or any sort of vest with pockets (Note: lightweight running vests are allowable).
- Guns, knives, or any item that may be used as a weapon.
- Backpacks, any similar item carried over the shoulder, or handbags of any size.
- Props (including sporting equipment, military and fire/gear and signs or flags* larger than 11 inches x 17 inches).
- Glass containers.
- Any container capable of carrying more than one liter of liquid.
- The use of selfie sticks or similar items is prohibited while running the Boston Marathon.
- Strollers, including baby strollers.
- Suitcases & rolling bags.
- Costumes covering the face or any non-form fitting, bulky outfits extending beyond the perimeter of the body.
- Any item larger than 5 inches x 15 inches x 5 inches.
- Folding chairs.
*Note - Flags cannot be on a pole longer than 15 inches in length
- The B.A.A. discourages the wearing of action cameras such as GoPros while running in the Boston Marathon.
- Any footage of the Boston Marathon captured by entrants or spectators is for personal use only.
- Personal use shall mean non-commercial use of such footage only.
- Any Boston Marathon footage for personal use shall not include any distribution for such purpose as to charge money, collect fees, or receive any form of remuneration.
- The Boston Marathon footage for personal use shall not be used in advertising and shall not be resold, relicensed, or sub-licensed.
- The Boston Athletic Association will not be liable for any third-party claims or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this personal use of Boston Marathon footage.
- Any Boston Marathon footage usage cannot violate rights held by existing B.A.A. sponsors and/or partners.
- The use of "selfie" sticks or similar items is prohibited while running the Boston Marathon.